Despite his indifferent form for his club, the 23-year-old was selected by Fernando Diniz ahead of the upcoming fixtures against Bolivia and Peru.
The Brazil Football Federation has confirmed that after ‘facts became public’ that ‘need to be investigated’ the former Ajax player has now been axed.
Arsenal striker Gabriel Jesus, who has only just returned to full fitness, has been called up in place of Antony and will represent his country for the first time since his involvement in last year’s World Cup was ended by a serious knee injury.
Antony, meanwhile, has denied accusations of physical aggression towards his former girlfriend.
In an interview with Brazilian website UOL – which also published photographs and screenshots of messages between the pair – Gabriela Cavallin claims she was attacked by Antony ‘with a headbutt’ in a Manchester hotel room on January 15, leaving her with a cut head which needed treatment from a doctor.
Cavallin, a social media influencer, also alleges she was punched in the chest by Antony, which she claims caused damage to a silicone breast implant which required corrective surgery back in Brazil.
Another alleged incident is claimed to have taken place at a house on May 8, with Cavallin saying she suffered a cut finger while trying to protect herself, accusing Brazil international Antony of throwing a glass cup towards her as well as then taking her passport.
Cavallin is said to have filed a report to the Sao Paulo Civil Police concerning allegations of physical and verbal abuse by Antony while on holiday in Brazil during June 2022, when she was pregnant, as well as making a separate complaint to Greater Manchester Police (GMP).
Writing on Instagram, Antony, who signed for United from Ajax in an £85.5million deal in September 2022, protested his innocence in response to what he called ‘false accusations’.
‘Out of respect for my fans, friends and family, I feel obliged to speak out publicly about the false accusations I have been the victim of,’ Antony said. From the beginning I have treated this matter with seriousness and respect, providing the necessary clarifications before the police authority. The police investigation is under judicial secrecy, and therefore I cannot make its contents public.
‘However, I can calmly state that the accusations are false and that the evidence already produced and the other evidence that will be produced demonstrate that I am innocent of the accusations made.
‘My relationship with Gabriela was tumultuous, with verbal insults from both sides, but I never committed any physical aggression. At each moment, whether in testimony or in an interview, she presents a different version of the accusations.
‘Therefore, I come to vehemently deny the accusations made and inform you that I remain at the entire disposal of the Brazilian authorities to clarify whatever is necessary.
‘I trust that the ongoing police investigations will demonstrate the truth about my innocence.’
In a statement to Telegraph Sport, GMP said: ‘Greater Manchester Police is aware of the allegations made and enquiries remain ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding this report. We will not be commenting any further at this time.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.